How Long Have You Been A Martyr?

 


Well, it seems like everything today is a crisis.

We can interpret every insignificant blip of action as a matter of life and death. Something that could be construed as a slight against someone personally can be blown out of proportion.

It seems like we used to be tougher. People were a bit more understanding that accidents could happen. There was a common understanding that not everything could be adequate, much less perfect.

There were going to be flaws. Human beings can, and will, make mistakes. That was recognized and understood. Things weren’t always going to go smoothly.

Today is a different story. 

Instant gratification is the rule by which this society seems to operate.

Technology has made expectations immediate. If something doesn’t work or if behavior doesn’t match demand, then many gnashing of teeth occurs.

It’s like when you order something from a fast-food restaurant and then get the order wrong. How hard can it be? It’s damn near automated. Even when you go inside and they get extra time, they still give you pickles when you asked them not to.

Or when you call the cable or electric or any company and you get the voice tree thing that drones on and on giving you multiple choices and extensions that, if you don’t hear or miss the choice, start over!

What happened to customer service? Why can’t there be a relatable human being to speak with? Is it really so much more expensive?

How about people that speed through residential streets? Huh? Are they really in that much of a hurry? Where are they going that they need to go that fast? Maybe leave a bit earlier.

They won’t change. And if someone brings up whatever the problem is, they will fight and argue tooth and nail instead of admitting any shortcomings.

Here’s another thing. 

This one is about this story. I had a pretty good title, so I thought I’d come up with, oh, I don’t know, 600 words, but I sort of ran out of gas halfway through. I mean, I could complain about some other scenarios.

But I won’t do it. That would be boring and you already get the idea. Here I am suffering for the art and I prolong it with no more ideas on how to keep this going.

Have I even covered martyrdom? I think I may have, so maybe I should stop right here.

I mean, I have mentioned no martyrs like Joan of Arc, so if you came here with that idea, I’m sorry that I have let you down. There have been many religious and political martyrs.

Anyway, a guy I used to work with would ask whenever someone constantly complained about something. I thought it was funny.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day of the Lawn Lepus

Tim McCarver: Baseball Savant

Vacuum Accumulation